Located at 290 Collins Street, the works on the Block Court building have started in 1837. After much construction works delays, the building was sold to George Brothers and then occupied by a store trading as George and Georges Federation Emporium. This was in fact the first Georges Store in Melbourne a rather exclusive store and generally catered for the more affluent members of Melbourne’s society until it closed in 1995.
And this is how the store took its name: “It was Saturday morning and fashionable Melbourne was ‘doing the block’. Collins Street is to the Southern city what Bond Street and the Row are to London, and the Boulevards to Paris … Carriages were bowling smoothly along, their occupants smiling and bowing as they recognized their friends on the side walk … Portly merchants, forgetting Flinders Lane and incoming ships, walked beside pretty daughters; and the representatives of swelldom were stalking along in their customary apparel of curly brimmed hats, high collars and immaculate suits. Altogether it was a pleasant and animated scene …”